EISC 2021 Chairpersons
Ms. Lene Westgaard-Halle and Mr. Masud Gharahkhani
Norway has held the Presidency of the European Interparliamentary Space Conference (EISC) in 2020 and 2021. After one digital meeting and a digital conference in May this year, it was a true pleasure to be able to welcome our European colleagues to a workshop in Tromsø on 7-9 November. We were thrilled to show you the North of Norway and what it has to offer.
In the workshop we aimed to highlight why space is especially important in the Arctic region. How satellites are essential tools in monitoring the vast Arctic Ocean areas, with increasing maritime traffic and a need for improved communication. We wanted to show why satellites are an ideal tool in the governance of the Arctic, an area with little infrastructure and few people. Last, but not least, we meant to show that satellites are vital in monitoring Arctic climate change as well as the environment.
In the digital conference the Presidency hosted in May 2021, we intended to shed light on how developments in the Arctic are relevant for the rest of Europe. We would like to thank all the highly skilled presenters, including ESA Director General Josef Aschbacher, for presenting how the Arctic is already important in many of ESA’s programs. Thanks to the legal experts who updated the members on developments in national space legislation. Finally, we have very much appreciated the presentations from Andøya Space Port and the ongoing work to establish a European launching site for small satellites, and how Kongsberg Satellite Services (KSAT) are using the Polar regions as ideal sites for downloading data from satellites in Polar orbit.
We look forward to a continuing collaboration with all European colleagues to further strengthen the parliamentary and European space cooperation.
Ms. Lene Westgaard-Halle & Mr. Masud Gharahkhani <br/>
MPs, Chairpersons of EISC 2021
EISC Workshop on 7-9 November 2021, Tromsø, Norway
- Presentation Fram Centre
- Presentation Norwegian Polar Institute
- Presentation BarentsWatch
- Presentation Arctic Council
- Presentation Tromsø Geophysical Observatory
- Presentation KSAT
- Presentation EISCAT
- Flyer EISCAT
EISC Plenary Session
- Presentation Josef Aschbacher (ESA)
- Presentation Irmgard Marboe (University of Vienna)
- Presentation Alla Pozdnakova (University of Oslo)
- Presentation Rolf Skatteboe (KSAT)
- Presentation Odd Roger Enoksen (Andøya Space)
Presentations ESA-EISC Space for Sustainability Award
- Presentation Andrea Vena (ESA)
- Presentation Jean-Francois Clervoy (ESA)
- Presentation SedimenTerra
- Presentation Containing Wildfires with Satellites
- National statement - Austria
- National statement - Czech Republic
- National statement - Estonia
- National statement - Germany
- National statement - Poland